Tuesday, November 18, 2008

in which i ask for audience participation

I've been doing quite a bit of reading lately, and because of that - and because I often forget to pick up my holds at the 'brary - I'm currently running on no books on my holds list. I'm about halfway through Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith, but once I'm finished that, I have nowhere to turn. The horror.

So I'm asking y'all, blogfriends. Have you read any good books lately? And if so, can you recommend some titles? I'll read pretty much anything from any genre (genre - isn't that such a library-world word?) except maybe romance. Don't hate, romance readers. It's just not my thang. I'll also do non-fiction too, if it's an interesting read. The sky's the limit!

So please dig into your personal libraries of favourites and help a sister out, won't you? It doesn't have to be current bestsellers; this is not a test of your knowledge of what's new and hot on the NY Times list or anything. It might be a book from 10 years ago, or 100 years ago. I just need a little jumpstart. Leave any and all recommendations in the comments, ok? I promise to repay the favour one day.

5 comments:

Mary Lynn said...

Two that I've really enjoyed in the last few months were Like Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen and The Outlander by Gil Adamson.

Or for an older book...have you ever read The Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole? Laughed my ass off at that one.

Librarian Girl said...

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks. It's teen, but rocks.

The Remains of the Day or On Chesil Beach, if you want something beautiful and melancholy.

Last Night at the Lobster was so good.

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao.

The Heartsong of Charging Elk.

Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life.

I'll shut up now.

e-Lizabeth said...

Sweet. Gonna place me some holds on all of those - except The Outlander and On Chesil Beach which I've read - clearly, my blogpeeps are the bomb when it comes to the books. Thanks!

CynthiaK said...

Read Summer Sisters by Judy Blume a few weeks back. Light and funny. Very Judy Blume.

This summer read CHronicles of a Mid-Life Crisis by Robyn Harding - another quick and funny read.

Currently reading The Ten Year Nap by Meg Wolitzer and the infamous Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (won it in a contest - never would have thought to read a vampire romance). I know, you said no romance but thought I'd mention it anyway.

vivian said...

All I am reading these days is pregnancy books so I'm not much help. But, the Canada Reads titles have been announced. cbc.ca/canadareads.

Site Meter