Thursday, July 31, 2008

she bangs

Whoa nelly, has it been hot out there, or is it just me? Damn. Now don't get me wrong, this is not complaining, oh no no NO. The heat, she and I are friends. I'm just saying man, wow. Hi, summer? Freaking LOVE you! What I don't actually love are my hometown peeps who be walking around practically nekkid. Good people of Hamilton, please! Put some clothes on! Do y'all have this in your town? The guy in the grey workshirt who wears it completely unbuttoned, with the fish belly white beer gut just a-hangin' out? Or hell, why not just take it all off, fish belly man! That's the way! Oy. Remember Gwen Jacob being charged with indecency for being topless on the streets of Guelph, which sparked the fight for the right for women to go topless in Ontario, should they want to? (it's true, by the way, we can totally do that here). What we now need is the anti-Gwen-for-men - which even sounds awesome - because man, some dudes really just need to keep their shirts on, is all I'm saying.

ANYway, so it's hot and sticky and really, what better way to celebrate this weather than by getting a haircut, which is what I did this evening. Nothing like little bits of hair stuck to you on the bus ride home. Mmm mmm! I really do love getting my hair cut though, and my hair stylist, friend, and owner of the salon where I go, is second to none. She rocks. And the appointment started out just great - chit-chat while I got in the chair, swoop on the cape, brush out the hair and then the usual question from her: "So...what are you thinking?" And then I said those three little words that carry so much weight, that can make or break a deal, and really shouldn't be said lightly: "I'm thinking bangs!" Whoa. Did that really come out of my mouth?? And it's true, I had been thinking bangs. For awhile. But I still wasn't sure, and then I said that. And she said: "Okay, cool." And that's how it started.

And really, is anything more debated and more discussed about women's hair than bangs? To bang or not to bang. I'm getting bangs. I'm growing mine out. Bangs suit you. I don't have enough forehead for bangs, but they totally look great on you. No, they're not too short. I need to have my bangs trimmed. It goes on, doesn't it? You know it does.

I'm no stranger to bangs, I've rocked them before without issue. Just regular bangs, though NOT gigantic 80s bangs. Remember those? Half a can of French Formula just to get those suckers to stay in place? Most of my highschool classmates were flammable beyond belief. Seriously, I can't believe we were ever allowed to use bunsen burners in the 80s.

Anyway, I had bangs all through highschool, but they were short and neat and stayed on my forehead. In grade nine, shoulder length hair. And bangs. In grade 10, unfortunate perm. And bangs. In grade 11 & 12, the classic bob. With bangs. In grade 13, shoulder length hair. With bangs. All through uni - bangs. In adulthood I've been back and forth with bangs, but usually with shortish hair. Now, though, my hair is long, people. Well, ok long-ish. As in to my shoulers. So, bangs? Really? Can I pull that off a la Bettie Page? Kim said I could. So then she cut them.

Now I have to wear them, and I have to admit, they're cute. Charles tells me "You look 5 years younger!" Wow, 5 whole years! Although he's 10, so that's half his life, so that's a big deal. Translated into mom years, maybe he means I look 20 years younger. Which would almost, but not quite, take me back to highschool. So maybe it's time for bangs again. Circle of life - er - bangs. Maybe it's time to even bust out the Howard Jones records again. (possibly the best bangs on a guy ever). And in case you need it, you can still get French Formula. Ooh-la-la.

1 comment:

vivian said...

I must say, you are totally rocking the new bangs. I, for one, am a fan of e-Liz avec bangs.

Sadly, I was an unfortunate victim of the bad perm and sky high bangs. I can't look at pictures of me in high school without wanting to crawl into a cave. Just the mention of French Formula makes me shudder.

Site Meter