Tuesday, July 08, 2008

an open letter to matt galloway of "here and now"

Dear Matt,

I try to like your show, I really, really do. For the most part, I think it's good - you often have interesting guests, and you usually play very good music as well. Sure, the topics are a little Toronto-centric, but hey, it's a Toronto show, so that does make sense. I can even tolerate your "devil's advocate" style of interviewing, because I understand that this can be a great way of getting politicians and other figures to actually answer questions in the 2.5 minutes you typically have with them. And finally, I can usually ignore the pompous tone that so much of your show takes. Again, it's Toronto! I get it!

What I can no longer tolerate, and the reason today is likely the last time I will listen to your show, is your daily invitation for people to "Google" - and not just "Google" subjects or topics, but actual websites. Today, for instance, after speaking with the Ontario Human Rights Commissioner, you asked people who might be interested in finding out more information about the new report dealing with discrimination in housing to "Google ontario human rights commission". Seriously? Aside from your use of Google as a verb (which annoys the hell out of me, but since I appear to be in a tiny minority, I will let that slide) honestly, what's wrong with spelling out the website for people? Now, I understand that chances are if you do type this into Google, you will mostly likely find the website at the top of the list. But this is a government department, so the chances are good. What about other sites? What about people who aren't sure of the spelling of the words that you're speaking over the radio? What if you told your audience to "Google Falun Gong?" Would everyone even know how to spell that?

Google is ubiquitous. I am a fan of Google. Google can help you find good things. But Google is a tool, like any other search engine, and I think you are doing your audience and your guests a disservice by telling them to "Google" everything. If your guest has a website, or their cause or their political party or whatever has a website, I think you owe it to them to spell it out, in order to direct people straight to it. I'm just saying.

And for the record, http://www.ohrc.on.ca/

e-L

5 comments:

Mary Lynn said...

Ha! I don't catch his show often enough that I ever noticed that habit of his. However, he did drive me right bonkers yesterday with his pronunciation of Beijing. He says "Bay-Djing" with the hardest "J" imaginable. Every time I heard him say it I cringed. I also imagined him in French class saying, "Dje suis Matt." Gah!

It's faster to spell out the Human Right's Commission's website than to tell people to Google it. Silly radio guy.

vivian said...

You hatred for the use of "Google" as a verb totally cracks me up. It's got to the point that every time I hear someone do it I see you in my mind's eye, cringing in disgust. And then I laugh. Not at you, of course. Just at the image in my mind. Doesn't take much to amuse me, as you know.

I actually quite like Matt Galloway. And I would listen to him over Jian Ghomeshi ANY day!

John K said...

Shouldn't that be "Djian Ghomeshi"?

Mary Lynn said...

Funny Johnny.

Anonymous said...

Stop naval gazing. Leave Matt alone.

Site Meter