Tuesday, April 01, 2008

quirky is as quirky does

So ML tagged me in the "6 quirky things" meme, and I was all "wha'?" e-L has no quirks. And then I thought "Oh yeah, there's that. Oh, and that. Right, that too..." So, um *ahem*. Watch me quirkify. Don't say I didn't warn you.


#1 I need to purchase a new toothbrush every 10 days to 2 weeks. You know how on the package it says "replace every 3 months" or something like that? Nunh-uh. No way. Once a bristle gets bent or there is toothpaste residue on it? It's history to me. Now, in my defense (something tells me I'm going to say that a lot in this post) in my highschool days I had a lot of coldsores - like monthly - at the same time as, you know, that other monthly thing that makes highschool so freaking awkward. So yeah, I was a hot mess back then. And my dentist advised me to get a new toothbrush whenever I got a coldsore, so as not to spread the virus love around. So the habit stayed, and now it's kind of obsessive - or quirky. I prefer quirky.


#2 Whenever I see an acronym, I must know what the letters stand for. For real. For instance? OHLA. Ontario Hospital Library Association. PPCLI. Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry. I can not rest until I know. And if I don't know? I make it up. So PPCLI could also be Ping Pong Champions of Long Island. (note: that one isn't mine, but isn't it awesome?) Maybe it's because I spent a lot of time in the military where it's all acronyms all the time. And also, I now work in libraries where - well, same thing. Also? Conversely, whenever I see a list of words, I try to form an acronym. And there are bonus points (in my head) whenever it's something really funny or dirty or something. Like on the bus the other day, I noticed a meter maid - or bylaw officer, I guess is the PC (politically correct) term - and they are known as Provincial Offences Officers. Or? POO for short. See? Awesomely funny. Apparently I am also a 10 year old boy.

#3 I stopped eating meat over 15 years ago, but I have a very, very hard time resisting a good Genoa salami. Make. What you will. Of that.


#4 I hate having the bathroom door open when I'm washing my face. This is due to a completely irrational fear of having someone suddenly appear in the bathroom standing right behind me, thus appearing in the mirror - probably an axe-wielding maniac, as can happen, right? This was a tough quirk to overcome when I had roommates. Fortunately, my good friend Karen had the same irrational fear, so we respected each other's weirdness when it was face-washing time. Always good to know someone has your back, and it's not an axe-wielding maniac.


#5 I can converse in song lyrics. Apparently not everyone can do this? So it helps to know someone else who can also converse in song lyrics so that actual conversations can happen (Viv, I'm looking at you). But I can also carry on a lyrical conversation with myself quite nicely if I have to.

#6 I have an almost Joan Crawfordian aversion to wire hangers, and I also must insist that all hangers are facing the same way in my closet. At all times. No exceptions. I know. You try being married to me.

So there you have it. I wish I could say "and those are all the quirks that I have!" But I can't. I suppose there will be another meme one day where I can list numbers 7 through 77 or something.

I'm going to tag Vivian and then anyone else who's quirky can feel free to play along. Just make sure you let me know.

Oh, and Lord Black of the Big House contest closes Friday April 4th so get your votes in!

5 comments:

Mary Lynn said...

Quirk #4 Kinda reminds me how I used to always sleep with my back to my bedroom window when I was a teenager, so that if eyes peered into my room I wouldn't see them. This was my bedroom on the second storey, I might add. I think it was a scene in Amityville Horror that inspired that particular quirk.

I'm mostly over it now.

krystal said...

I smile at #4 because that's so me.

e-Lizabeth said...

So I'm starting to think that people who *don't* get freaked out by the possibility of a sudden appearance of someone in the mirror? Yeah, they're the quirky ones.

Thanks, guys - I feel better now!

vivian said...

Tagged I am. Give me a few days to think about it. Although I probably only need about 20 minutes.

As you know, I am right there with you on #5. And don't get me started on #6. I'm so glad that the master bedroom in our house came with separate closets!

Librarian Girl said...

We share 5 out of 6 of those quirks. How strange is that?

Site Meter