Wednesday, April 02, 2008

girl, crushing

Y'all know about the girl crush, right? The person who you kind of adore from afar, who has their shit together; you admire them, you may try to emulate their style. It's not that you want to necessarily be that person, it's more of an infatuation with them - usually not in a sexual way - unless that's the way you roll, of course. My girl crushes tend to all be about attitude and confidence and style and talent in kind of the "damn she's good" way. However you look at it, I think the girl crush is a positive thing. So...

My first girl crush was my grade 7 teacher. It was perfect timing for me, as I had left my regular school after grade 6 to attend "the gifted program" at another school across the city. I know you're probably all "Dude, you were gifted? For real?" And yeah, I guess I was. But I didn't last long at gifted school, because I missed my people. It wasn't as though it was all "wrong-side-of-the-tracks girl goes to uppity prep school" or anything. It was more like "wrong-side-of-the-tracks girl goes to other wrong-side-of-the-tracks school for slightly more advanced book-learning". But whatev, I missed my friends and alla that. I left after about 6 weeks and went back to my school that I never should have left in the first place. One day I'll have to do a whole post on my 6 whole weeks of giftedness, but for now, back to the girl crush.

My teacher Miss C. was all sorts of awesome. She had this great wardrobe, with like 18 different pairs of funky leather boots and tons of chic clothes. She was from Toronto. She drove a freaking Camaro - the hottest car circa 1978, right? She smoked. Ok that part - not so cool I guess, but 30 years ago (ohmychrist, 30 years? oy.) the whole smoking thing was still sort of bohemian and decadent, and it just seemed so cool and so stick it to the man, you know, when you're a teacher and all. Because I had been gone for the first part of the school year, I was considered a transfer student, and even though everyone knew me, they still kind of treated me like the "new kid". Which sucked, but Miss C. saw that the cliques, they had been formed, and I spent until Christmas being "the new kid", so she kind of took me under her very stylish wing, and we bonded. Or at least I did. I adored everything about her, and really just basked in her awesomeness. She left the following year, which was sad, but we actually kept in touch via letters and the occasional phone call for quite awhile. And any time the retro-70s fashions reappear in magazines and stores, I think of her and her bitchin style.

Other girl crushes have come and gone, and the most recent ones include fabulous Canadian soprano Measha Brueggergosman (have you heard this woman? And have you been astounded at how fabulous she is? Totally crush-worthy for SO many reasons) and the woman in my neighbourhood who drinks really expensive wine (have stood behind her in line the LCBO so I know), has a kickass wardrobe, and drives a flame red Vespa in the warm months (which apparently we don't get to have around here anymore.) So there you have a few of my favourite girls over the past 30 (ouch) years or so. You may have your own girl crush stories, and I hope you do. And probably? One or two of them turn out like the story I am about to tell...

One day a few weeks ago, I was at work and standing in line for coffee, just minding my own business, when a young woman approached me. She looked vaguely familiar, so I smiled, and as soon as I did, this is what happened:

her: OMG hi!
me: hey, how are you?
her: OMG I'm great, thanks! How are you??
me: Oh - good, thanks.
her: That's great! Um - well, you probably don't recognize me, but I sometimes take the bus? And you're usually there at the stop, and you always look so cool, you know, wearing all black, you know, which is cool, and OMG I just love your boots! And you know, you've got your iPod - probably listening to something cool, of course right?? Of course haha! And you know, I've always wanted to say hey, and whatever but I never have, but anyway, I just wanted to say I think your sunglasses are so awesome, and well, I just wanted to say hi!
me: Wow. Um - thanks.

She went on with a bit more of the same while I paid for my coffee and then gave me a wave and left.

Dude. Could it be? Could it be, that I might actually be the subject of a girl crush? This is something in all my years of crushing that never once occurred to me. Seriously, this could be huge. I mean, maybe I'm like, projecting or something but what if I'm not? What if, for real, this girl thinks I am all that? I mean, with great power comes great responsibility, right? And really, um - me? Wow. So yeah, I don't know. I mean it's cool and all and totally flattering. Me, as girl-crush-worthy. Well, to be honest, it really made my day.

But, what if she ever finds out I was probably listening to, I don't know, Gordon Lightfoot or something?!

I'm totally busted.

3 comments:

vivian said...

I'm not at all surprised. Your the crush-worthiest chick I know. If I didn't know you so well, I'd be crushing hard!

Kudos to her for being so brave. I don't think I would have had the nerve.

Librarian Girl said...

Aw, you are totally crush-worthy!

SBTVD said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the SBTVD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://sbtvd.blogspot.com. A hug.

Site Meter