Friday, May 18, 2007

stuff that's got me riled

Um, CSI? Seriously, how could you do this to me? Crazy ventriloquists and scary dolls? Creepy-girl killers? Not to mention outing the Grissom love and then planting the object of the affection under a flipped over car to drown in the desert? Now, this is all very well and good if it were a "just wait til next Thursday to be continued" but dude, as the season finale?? Cold, my friends, very cold. Fortunately there was just enough Nick hotness to make up for the downright scariness of the plot and characters....

For really though? Awesome freaking episode. I heart all over the CSI.

Next up, is the having to read Cancer Vixen this week, cos someone here at my centre thought it was "fabulous and would be a fabulous addition to the patient library!" (first red flag? people usually don't call books by/about cancer survivors "fabulous!") I was down on this book from the start, (and incidentally backed up by Jessa Crispin on Bookslut, thank you very much) long before I even worked in a cancer library. I heard it described recently as "it's like Sex and the City meets cancer!" and friends? It's so not. To be fair, I hadn't read it until it was dropped on my desk this week, and since it came "highly and fabulously recommended!" I figured I'd better read it before, you know, sending it back with a post-it note saying "this book is going in my library in your dreams, bitch". So I did my best and I read it. And let me tell you, it's boring and offensive and juvenile and self-absorbed and...awful. Maybe it's just me, but I really didn't see what anyone (breast cancer patient or not) would get out of this book. There's not much information for anyone going through treatment - unless you count knowing just what shade of lipstick to wear to your chemo appointments as information. And if it's meant to be a quirky, humorous ride through cancer treatment, and how to be fabulous while doing it, I think it falls way, way short. The women I see on a day to day basis are all sorts of fabulous, let me tell you - they're fabulous for for still being here, for trying to stay positive, for fighting and hopefully winning the fight. But there are just as many who come in and tell me that the cancer has now spread to their brain, or that they just can't stop crying because they're doing this on their own and need help coping with a recurrence; and I don't know that a story about a socialite who worries that her fiance is going to dump her for the next available skinny model is, you know, the best resource. I know humour is healing, I use it all the time for personal crises, believe you me. And so even if Cancer Vixen was funny and hopeful and interesting and useful to some of the patients here, I would consider overlooking some of its other shortcomings. But the truth is it just bored me, and at the same time made me very uncomfortable.

I am truly happy for the author, in that I'm happy she made it through surgery and treatment and is in recovery and - as she claimed in a recent interview - cancer free. To me, that is fabulous.

But now apparently there is going to be a movie starring Cate Blanchett? I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

4 comments:

vivian said...

A movie? Wow! I haven't read this book myself but from what you've described here it sounds offensive to people fighting this awful disease. I guess not everyone who survives something big should write a book about it.

desperate housewife said...

One of my co-workers (who plays for the other team) told me a couple of months ago that George Eads plays for his team. Now that's all I think of when I watch CSI. Damn my co-worker!

e-Lizabeth said...

noooooooooooo!!!! It can't be!

Um, not that there's anything wrong with that.... :)

How come all the hot men get all the hot men...I think I just answered my own question, right? ;)

vivian said...

say it isn't so!!!!

At least I still have my fantasies...

Site Meter