Monday, January 15, 2007

it's official...

...the 30s are over as of tomorrow. Yes, blogfriends, it's the big 4-0 for e-L tomorrow. And it's really not that I'm so sad about turning 40, it's more that I'm really going to miss my 30s.

The 30s, well they were great. The 20s were great, of course, there was all that freedom. Mmmmm....freeeeedom.... But I still maintain that the 30s were better, so if that's the trend then shouldn't the 40s be even better? Perhaps...I guess we'll find out. Anyway, isn't 40 the new...something? 30? 20? 80? Who knows. All I know is that I don't know that I'm really ready to move into another decade. I liked being a 30-something. When I was 29 I was ready to be 30. I can't explain this, it's just how I felt. Now that I'm 39? Not so much. Again, I can't explain. But my 30s, they had a lot of goodness, and if you'll indulge the birthday-girl-to-be, this is the decade that was:

- I had my boys
- I got myself a kickass new job (ok that's just started so it's technically in my 30s, but closer to 40, but I'm taking it)
- I did some soulsearching and figured out (kinda) who I am and decided I like who I am and so I think I'll keep me
- I found strength that I totally never, ever thought I was capable of, but there it was, more than once, just when I needed it
- I learned that when people say they want to help, they really do, and honey you don't have to do it all, all by yourself
- I learned how to slow down and I learned the importance of taking time, of being present and mindful
- I learned how to love my family and friends more deeply than ever before, knowing that at any minute they can be taken away from me, and I will never take anyone for granted ever, ever again

There was more, but those stand out as highlights from the past 10 years right now. And lest you think that I'm going to spend my 40s in some sort of "navel-gazing-let's-spend-a-decade-moping-in-a-what-it-means-to-be-a-40-something-woman" frame of mind...

BIG piss-up at my place Saturday night. Boo-yah.

3 comments:

sari said...

As someone who has been 40 since last May, I'll just tell you - you seem to be doing fine with yourself and 40 is good.

You'll like it. :-)

vivian said...

You rocked the first 40 years and you'll be rockin' the next 40!

Happy birthday darling!

xo

e-Lizabeth said...

Awww thanks, guys!

So far so good...although it's just been 24 hours... ;)

Site Meter