Saturday, June 03, 2006

freaky

I had the best title for this post - I had planned to call it "Saturday night's all right..." - and what happens? I go here and the man has already used it. I hate when that happens.

Anyway, I had planned to continue the quote but instead of "for fighting" today it's "for baking" because that's what I've been doing. Strange, no? I know. But every so often I get an attack of domesticity. Usually I lie down until it goes away, or mix a gin & tonic and then I forget what I was going to do. But today I answered the call and made muffins and banana bread. We tend to have a lot of frozen bananas (doesn't everyone??) so I figured it was time to start using them up. The boys are confused, staring at me with the "who are you and what have you done with our mother??" look. Poor deprived little boys.

So I just had to share my Divine YouTube experience with a friend of mine who appreciates the mighty D, and she sent me back some fun 80s videos that she found, with some comments - stuff like "Remember Man Parrish? They used to play this back in the day on CFNY...." and it got me reminiscing about the glory days of the station now known as Edge 102. The old CFNY does indeed have a website and here's the description for those interested:

"This web site is all about CFNY, particularly CFNY in the 1980's, the CFNY that was the vision and creation of one David Marsden. CFNY was about the music - music you couldn't hear anywhere else, on any other station. CFNY was about the people - some of the most talented, dedicated and interesting people worked together at CFNY. This web site is an attempt to capture a glimpse of the Spirit of Radio as it existed in the 1980's - one of the greatest radio stations in North America."

Ah radio...what has happened to ye? The only ones to my liking these days are the omnipresent CBC (usually) and college and university radio stations. The rest of them resemble a Girls Gone Wild episode, with more misogyny than you can shake a stick at. It's so sad that it's no longer about the music, it's about the humiliation of your listeners and a night out at Hooters. (and seriously, what is with all these "guy-centric" radio events?? does management not think that women listen to the radio at all?? it's like ads for strip clubs in the sports section of the newspaper - that has pissed me off since before highschool...wow...tangent, anyone? i seem to do that a lot lol)

Anyway what do I know? I'm a juvenile product of the working class....whose best friend floats in the bottom of a glass...happy Saturday night!

No comments:

Site Meter