Friday, April 21, 2006

whose land is it, anyway?

Come ON people, it's not rocket science - it's very, very simple to determine who owns a section of land, and yet building developers continue to either a) do the research and look the other way or b) not do any of the research and just start building crappy cookie cutter houses wherever they want cos they're big important white people. Hmmm...actually, I'm pretty sure that b is the answer. Now what happens? Native leaders figure out what's up and try to let the developers know that hey, this isn't your land to bulldoze and build on. And yet they wind up looking like the bad guys. It's sick-making. CBC has some coverage of it here.

Thanks to my sister-in-law I was pointed to this fab blog (seriously, it's some pretty addictive reading) and the petition to nominate Stephen Lewis for the Nobel Prize for 2007. Now, everyone who reads my blog must know by now my feelings for Mr. Lewis. He's one of only a handful of people who, if they were to ask me to do something - anything - I would do it, in a heartbeat, no questions asked. So go ahead and sign the petition, please. The man is beyond worthy for this award.

[ah, and who are the others, these people for whom I would do anything? oh yes, you think I can't - but I can - I can hear you all wondering - well, that's for another post...]

No comments:

Site Meter