Thursday, November 03, 2005

of spin & sci fi...

One of the most amazing things about my husband is his incredible ability to turn any sort of political discussion into a science fiction analogy. And I'm not being flip, I actually do find it quite fascinating. Take for example our conversation the other evening. I was talking about how I'd heard on the radio (you know which station lol) a program where the host was interviewing a gentleman who was an expert on spin - political spin, media spin, etc. I mentioned to John how I found it really interesting, since people sort of tend to think that spin is a fairly recent manipulation, but it's been going on for decades. The guest on the program had some interesting examples, and some good thoughts on spin (which I won't go into here) so I told John a bit about it. And his response was to tell me about an Isaac Asimov story (or book - I forget which), the gist of which goes like this: some brilliant thinker in a future civilization had his talks analysed by the other characters in the story. So this guy talked and talked and talked and his words were recorded and then analyzed to see what it was he *really* meant. And, long story short, at the end of the day they determined that he had talked all this time - and said absoultely nothing. And I made a comment about how relevant that was (given today's political climate especially) and how I marvelled at this insane ability he seems to have, and why is it that any time we discuss politics he brings up science fiction and he said, "because Elizabeth, good science fiction is political". Hmmm. Because it's based on worlds and civilizations which require order, etc. So again. Hmmm. Interesting stuff and I'm not familiar with the genre really, so it's difficult for me to comment much further, but it just goes to show you, you can't trust anything you read now - and it won't be much different in the future, according to the sci-fi writers...and John. :)

Oh and speaking of books check this out! OCLC's Top 1000! According to their site:

"This list, updated for 2005, contains the "Top 1000" titles owned by OCLC member libraries—the intellectual works that have been judged to be worth owning by the "purchase vote" of libraries around the globe."

So I went through the top 100 - only to find that I'd only read 24. 24% - a poor showing I think, and I'm ashamed to admit it really, considering that two of the books in the top 100 that I've *read* are Calvin & Hobbes and Peanuts. Although in my defence, I've also got War & Peace under my belt, and pretty much all the Shakespeare that's on there. ;) It's a handy reference, no? Bookmark it and work your way through the list! lol. I do take issue with the bible as #1 (but then I would, wouldn't I??) Still think Peanuts should have been first...you can learn a lot more from Charles Schultz... :)

No comments:

Site Meter