Tuesday, November 01, 2005

november...

It's hard to believe it's November as of today. Although I guess since last night was Hallowe'en, it's chronologically possible, no? Hallowe'en was great, as usual - a good haul of treats. And because of Karen von Hahn's article, **ack, I just realized you have to register with the Globe & Mail to read this grrr - it's free though, so go on, go ahead... ;) ** I found myself more observant than usual, and I was pleased to see that most of the girls in my neighbourhood didn't fit that example. Whew...since they're all under 12 yikes. On the whole, I like Karen von Hahn - she's not as simpering and whiny as that Leah McLaren, and half the time I just don't understand Heather Mallick...but I digress... Slut culture, as she called it just fits. Perfectly. It's definitely a sad state, and the book she refers to Female Chauvinist Pigs: Women and the Rise of Raunch Culture has been added to my holiday gift list for sure.

Another page from the "it's hard to believe it's..." file is, it's hard to believe it's been 10 years since "THE" referendum that nearly split our country. I still remember that night, I'm sure most Canadians do. Who could possibly forget Jacques Parizeau blaming "money and the ethnic vote" on their loss? Even with my fractured French I got what he said, although I didn't believe it until I heard the English version - and I remember the translator really stumbling over that. Who would have expected that?!? The CBC has a good analysis (as always) in their feature Separation Anxiety. Definitely worth a read.

Oh - and in honour of that historic day I give you the blog quebecois - also definitely worth a read, but for entirely different reasons... :)

No comments:

Site Meter