Tuesday, November 08, 2005

listening to Stephen Lewis

Stephen Lewis is this year's Massey Lecturer, and I'm just listening to his broadcast on CBC. He is, without a doubt, one of the most passionate and awe-inspiring speakers I've ever heard. His subject matter of course, is heart-wrenchingly difficult to listen to, and you can hear the frustration and desperation in his voice...it's almost unbearable. And yet, he remains optimistic that something can and will be done. "I have spent the last four years watching people die" is how he opens his lecture, and never have I felt so much a part of a speech/lecture as I did tonight. His book Race Against Time now tops my holiday gift list, although I know it will leave me devastated and angry. Please...visit the website of the Stephen Lewis Foundation if you can...it somehow manages to be the most horrible and the most beautiful place on the web.

No comments:

Site Meter